how to print .dll format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Sep 17, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I need to print out a paper that downloads in a .dll format. How can I open this up so I can print it??

Thanks.

Frank

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. I doubt that you want to print one of them.

Can you supply a link to the file you are trying to download?

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>I doubt that you want to print one of them.

Can you supply a link to the file you are trying to download?<<

I'm a Doc and it's a credentialing file from an on line credentialing service. These have been started to "avoid" the trapping of having to file paper forms, etc<g>. The insurance companies want us to recredential from time to time. What I find strange is that all this info is on line for the insurance companies to access and they want me to print it out and mail it to them?????? Strange.

Frank

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Unless you can provide any more information it is going to be hard to help. Have you tried opening the file using TextEdit just to see if it pops up with anything? You could always try a programmers editor or even vi or nano. If it is just plain text then you should be fine but as I said I can't really help without more info I am afraid.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I sent the company a note asking how to do this. They haven't gotten back to me yet.

I'll try the text edit option and see.

Thanks.

Frank

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried the text edit. It all came out in gobbly gook!!

Frank

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've never heard of a document being distributed in .dll format. I think that you'll have to ask the originator what to do.

I usually associate .dll files with Windows Registry.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Best to leave .dll files not associated with anything. They are used by applications to load common resources. You will only really need to dig into them if you are a programmer.

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I called a friend who does our billing and is a programmer. He started out by selling hardware and wrote the billing program in unix. Anyway, he thinks the site isn't OSX friendly and that I may have to try to print it out via a PC. My wife uses XP. I'll try tonite when I get home.

Thanks.

Frank

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like the most likely solution. Probably require Internet Explorer too.

11. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Probably require Internet Explorer too.<<

Good point. I think she uses it.

Frank

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I meant associate in my own mind, not in my computer. ;)

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

On the Thinkpad now, and I can print out the sheets needed easily. Must be something with their web site and OSX.

Frank

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're receiving a DLL file, then that means that Windows is trying to launch an ActiveX / COM / DCOM object -- sort of like the Microsoft version of an applet or Flash embed.

The problem with their website is that they're using a technology that nearly everyone in the web industry abandoned with a level of fervor as if it were a sinking ship that was simultaneously on fire. And had Godzilla on it. And Britney Spears. Almost ten years ago.

Anyway, though, if this is an electronic billing thing, then usually they're able to accept your bills in the form of industry standard text files -- they look like gobblydook too, but they're not DLL files. Most EMR programs can make the bill files.

15. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

In our business, with all the emphasis on security, there are web credentialing companies. It does "usually" save us time and headaches from writing out every sock we've worn since we entered college. I would "think" that the purpose of having all our information in one site, on the web, would be easy for these insurance companies to access once we give our ok, but this company wants it printed out.

using MSIE 7, the print out popped right up. I'm not sure of all the techno stuff involved, but somehow OSX won't work at this site. A lot of these companies although nationally reputable, seem to be behind the techno-times.

Frank