How to print from windows XP (parallels), using a shared printer in osX 10.4.11?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Divian BE, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Divian BE macrumors newbie

Hello,

tricky question, but haven't found an answer yet...

We have a broken networkport on our HP Laserjet P2015dn, and need it to print from 4 macs in the office. 3times osX 10.4.11 and 1time osX 10.6.4 (all except 1 non-intel; running windows XP via Parallels and connected on the general office network).

I am currently sharing the printer via USB (broken networkport) connected via a Mac using 10.4.11.

I can print from every Mac, obviously. However, I can't print or know how to set this up for use in Windows (parallels).

any help is appreciated...

2. Divian BE thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, found the solution, using CUPS...

1) (MAC SIDE) be sure you have printersharing for the mac whom is sharing, enabled... (preferences, sharing). The printer sharing, should have a name not longer than 10 characters (better for windows reasons). tip: You can add another one, just for sharing.
    2) (WINDOWS SIDE) login in windows as administrator or someone who can add networkPrinters.
    choose printer using URL and use this...

http: //IPadresOfMacSharingThePrinter:631/printers/NAMEOFPRINTER

IPadresOfMacSharingThePrinter: eg. 192.168.1.120
    NAMEOFPRINTER: eg. USBprint (best not longer than 10 characters)

After adding, you are brought back to install your driver, just install like any printer. It could be you have to use another driver in case it doesn't seem to work. However mine did. But the HP Laserjet 2100 PCL6 seemed to be going even better than its own...

Normally your pc, can now print files on the shared mac printer. All macs work properly now...
    ps: Be sure you set it for the users on the machine as a default printer...

Hope it helps anyone...