How to print out comments in Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hhaeschen, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

yesterday I used Preview to add my comments to a PDF document in a lecture. Usually I then save the PDF including the comments. However, this file is encrypted and saving it with changes is impossible.

Now I would at least like to print it in a way that I can also see the comments I've added and don't lose everything. How can I do that? I couldn't work it out.

Is there maybe a way to work around the encryption (3rd party software)? Or do you have other suggestions?

I appreciate all your help! Thanks!

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

For PDF annotation I suggest you use the great freeware Skim instead of Preview. It's really superior to Preview for everything PDF.

For your current work: Try printing your PDF again as PDF (in the printing dialog click the PDF button and choose Save as PDF…). Don't know if it works with encrypted PDF files. Worth a try. Let me know if it worked out.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

3. hhaeschen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answer. Printing the file as PDF is possible but it does not print the comments, only the text that is part of the original file... :(

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

One not-quite-perfect solution would be to open up the PDF in Skim and copy all notes over (but try first, if you can save them in Skim).
    This will be quite a pain in the neck, if you have a lot to copy. But better than losing all your notes.

/Rupert