How to print this bitch of a PDF?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illjazz, Apr 3, 2009.

1. illjazz macrumors regular

Apologies for the language, but this is driving me nutty. I'm trying to print out a PDF in a sensible (READABLE! and therefore usable) way.. but the way this PDF was made really is not making things easy. It looks excellent when zoomed way in but is completely unreadable when simply printed out without changing anything..

For your convenience, I've added the file to my Dropbox and here's the public link for it: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/250734/Manual_rear-shock_XM180-XRcarbon.pdf

The file is 3.2MB, otherwise I would have attached it to this post directly :/

I really just want to print the English section of the document which would be the right half of page 2.

I've tried to find a way to "print selection" in both Adobe Reader and Preview but so far without success. Whoever made this PDF doesn't seem to have made it with printing in mind..

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

With out looking at your file, I would suggest cropping the portion you want to print in Preview. Use the selection tool and cmd-k to crop it.

3. canonballs macrumors member

Try this:

In Preview, apple-3 (choose select tool), select by diagonal dragging the portion you wish to print, apple-C (copy), apple-N (new document with clipboard contents). You can save and/or print the new document.

4. kostia macrumors regular

It sounds like you don't have the full version of Acrobat, so I went ahead and edited this PDF for you, splitting the right half of page 2 into two printable pages. You'll have to make sure Reader, or Preview, or whatever you've got, is set to "shrink to paper size" when you print, but it should be perfectly readable.

The file is here:
    http://drop.io/shockpdf

5. illjazz thread starter macrumors regular

That worked quite well, actually. Thanks! Cropping and then undoing and recropping wasn't the greatest workflow but it definitely worked.

Nice idea as well, thanks! Pretty similar to the cropping, minus the awkward workflow, I suppose.

Is there a "lite" version of Acrobat? I was talking about Acrobat Reader, so you must be talking about Acrobat Pro, right? In any case, thanks a ton, because the edited PDF you uploaded is perfect. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cropping PDFs in Preview is "non-destructive," meaning even if you close the cropped PDF and accept the changes (which of course you don't need to do anyway), the changes aren't saved. In fact the only way to save a cropped PDF with the crop is to save it in another format. Sort of counterintuitive, but that's how it works.