How to Print to PDF?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by legaleye3000, Apr 11, 2014.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to print to pdf. I know you can "save to pdf" on the print window; however, this does not work when trying to print from a webpage accessed from Java. I have Adobe Pro XI. Is there any way to install a PDF Printer? Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Print to PDF is a facility that is an integral part of the OS X Print Center. It is available on every File/Print... dialog box. If the application does not use standard OS X's printing facilities, then it may not be possible to print to PDF if at all.

FWIW, "print to PDF" and "save to PDF" are different ways to access the exact same OS X functionality.

The PDF print driver that included with Adobe Distiller as part of Adobe Acrobat Pro XI is better than Apple's built-in facility, but it cannot add the ability to print where none existed before.

I gather that you are using a Java app accessed from a web page and not the other way around. Certain software in the enterprise is written in Java because it saves having to develop and maintain multiple versions. Any computer with a Java Virtual Machine and a web browser can run it. If this is the case in your situation, then it is unlikely that the software supports the OS X Print Center.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct. The save to pdf feature results in "error while printing." Even though I have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI installed, for some reason there is no Adobe Printer. I was hoping that would work as a wordaround; however, I can't figure out how to install it as a printer.

Thanks.

4. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Could you screenshot, then re-save the resulting jpg/png as a PDF? Then use an OCR program to make readable, if desired...
    There are some plugins for Chrome that can "print webpage" or "webpage screenshot" in order to get the whole of a single webpage rather than just what's on screen.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

...you realize you just responded to an issue that's over a year old? I would assume the poster has solved it and moved on by now.