How to print to printer connected to iMac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kuebby, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so this question is really about both the iPhone and iPad but I don't want to post the same thing twice so here it is.

My printer isn't a network printer, but I have enabled printer sharing on it. It's an HP Photosmart C4180 attached to my iMac via USB. But even when sharing is enabled and the iMac and iPhone are on the same wireless network I don't get the option to print to it.

How can I print to a USB-connected printer?

(Both my iPhone and iPad are jailbroken so if additional software is needed that's not a problem.)

2. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I use Printopia. Works well for your exact scenario.

3. emuyshondt macrumors member

I have an app called Print'n'Share (see www.eurosmartz.com). The same company also makes Print for iPad. You you install a small server app on your Mac or PC and then you can you can print from either an iPhone or an iPad. I've only tried a couple of test prints since I don't need to print much from my iPad. The app seemed to work. No jailbreaking required. My devices are both stock, with the latest iOS updates installed.

4. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to try Printopia first, that looks like exactly what I need.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use Printopia as well. $9 app for the Mac. Works great. It'll also save the output as a PDF on your Mac if you don't want to send it straight to the printer.

I have an Epson printer, and for photos I use Epson's iPrint (free from the App Store). Prints photos on the phone from the photo paper tray on my Artisan 810.

Between these two, all my iOS printing needs are handled.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

+1