Home How to program trigger for me and my wife leaving the house??

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by yalag, Jun 8, 2016.

1. yalag, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

yalag macrumors 65816

You can setup trigger based on location, which is great. But the problem is, we don't want to turn off the lights unless both me and my wife are out of the house. How do you do that?

Also, I've heard others who were able to setup a motion detected trigger (like turn the lights off if no one walked in the room for 1 hour). How do you go about doing this? What devices do you need?

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Currently for multiple people in the same household I would use a Nest or other device that can detect when everyone is away. (Im not sure what other devices do this, I have a Nest so that is how I do it).

For motion sensors you would need to buy an Ecobee or Eve sensor.

http://www.apple.com/us/shop/accessories/all-accessories/home-automation

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

So your Nest can trigger off an event in HomeKit if it knows that both person is out of the house?

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yes, if it detects no one is home it triggers my event that turns off most the lights and turns on security lighting.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you do that? I read up on Nest and it doesn't say it has homekit support.

6. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry trying to learn all these integration, are you saying you also need to purchase a Lutron hub of some kind? And then that bridges into homekit?

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Sorry I added the link above to IFTT trigger after you responded.

In my case I had a Lutron hub already. There are lots of options out there that are integrated with Nest though: https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

9. chuyn macrumors 6502

You're confusing him by saying yes to him asking if it triggers an event in HomeKit.

OP, Nest does not support HomeKit. Lutron is a "works with nest" product and also happens to be HomeKit compatible. The Nest going into away mode will turn off the Lutron lights but that is because Lutron "works with nest". The fact that it is HomeKit compatible has nothing to do with this functionality (as the older non-HomeKit Lutron hub did this as well).

But as FreeState says, the main product I know that can do this is the Nest, as it keeps track of multiple users. Honeywell's Lyric keeps track of multiple users too but I don't think they integrate with any of the light switch/bulb companies.

Also, ecobee's sensors... so far, I can't get them to trigger any HomeKit devices (like my Hues) when they see motion (to turn the lights on/off in specific rooms like you mentioned). They seem to only send information to the thermostat. You can try setting a HomeKit scene that turns off the lights if the ecobee goes into away mode, but that's for no motion in the whole house, not just walking in and out of certain rooms.

10. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

IFTTT does not support If This and This Then That (ITTT+) but other apps do.

Home - Smart Home Automation by Matthias Hochgatterer
    https://appsto.re/nz/WRAx7.i

MyHomes : Manage your smart homes and accessories by Tobias Kaulich
    https://appsto.re/nz/EvYO_.i

Personally, I would wait till next week as hopefully Apple will announce its own Homekit app.

11. chuyn macrumors 6502

What I hope for the most is multi-user support. A lot of the triggers for connected devices currently only support a single user. We don't use many of the location triggers because we want it to account for both of us being gone or only one person left.

12. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Neither of those apps does what I am asking, what am I missing?

13. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

That is annoying me too. Filed a bug report.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The Lutron app & hub can respond to Nest events (home/away with the thermostat and smoke/CO alerts with the Protect), but this is handled outside of HomeKit. It can only turn on/off Lutron-connected lights, not any other HomeKit devices. So only lights on the Lutron in-wall dimmer switches or plug-in lamp modules will be supported. Won't be able to control other things like Hue lights, iHome outlets, etc.

But, since the Lutron equipment also supports HomeKit, it kind of sidesteps or works around the non-HomeKit Nest.

You can, however, set up HomeBridge (requires some software installation effort and an always-on computer) to allow the Nest thermostat to work with HomeKit. But this is more of a hack then an officially-supported HomeKit integration. It does work quite well, however, once up and running.

Another nice thing about the Lutron equipment is that it also directly supports the Amazon Echo as does Nest. So you can control your Lutron lights with both Siri and Alexa. iDevices recently added Amazon Echo support (in addition to existing HomeKit support) to their products as well.

15. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Can you confirm that Nest's away mode work correctly with homebridge? In other words, Nest can detect both me and my wife leaving the house and then triggering a homekit scene?

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I actually don't have HomeBridge set up at present, so I can't test to see if Away/Home is offered as a HomeKit trigger. However, the Nest system offers two ways of presence detection.

One is via smartphone geofence. You can add multiple phones so it won't activate if you leave but your wife stays home (or, at least, if her phone stays home). This is the most reliable.... so you may as well just trigger a HomeKit scene off the iPhone/HomeKit geofence instead of relying on the Nest to trigger it.

The other is via the presence sensor on the thermostat itself, which can switch to Away/Home based on presence or absence of motion. The switch from Home to Away can take I think an hour or more of no motion before it triggers, though. The Nest thermostat can make use of Nest Protects (for sure the 2nd gen., not sure about the 1st gen.) to increase coverage of presence detection.

The Ecobee thermostat is, however, fully HomeKit-compatible.

I've thought about switching from Nest to Ecobee, but I've decided that I'm not going to be too concerned about running or holding the thermostat based on occupancy anyway. My two dogs and one cat tend to prevent the Nest (and thus, likely, an Ecobee as well) from going to Away mode anyway. So I don't get too bothered by not having the thermostat attached to Siri at present. Plus, I'm too heavily invested in Nest Protects and Nest Cams which work nicely together.