How to prohibit Admin Password change in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kemo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Hello, I've a bit weird question but I've googled for the answer with no success.

If I'm right, there exist many ways how to recover, change or delete Admin password on Leopard or even Snow Leopard...

1) With install disc you can boot up and reset master password, I'm not sure how it is in SL but in Leopard it worked for me..

2) Other way is restart mac hold cmd+s and type couple of commands...well more here: Link

3) Any other ways...maybe..don't know them..

So my question is, if there is any way how to secure your mac so you never CAN restore you password and rather lost all your data than get password restored and show them to someone else, I know it looks a bit suspiciously but I just wanna be sure no1 can read something from my mac by reseting my admin password and log in or even gain access to install some keyloggers while I'm not working on it...if there exist any application (even paid one), couple of commands what disable way to restore pass or just it is not possible... please let me now...I will really appreciate it!

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Tom

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Safety -> FileVault

Encrypt your whole Home folder so nobody can access those files without the password

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ and make a backup for when FileVault decides to poop itself!

4. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Firstly thank you for so quick replies...

But I'm not pretty clear with that, btw I got WD MyBook via FireWire connected and properly got all my files backed up..

Well if I turn my FileVault - there will not exist any way how to restore password via install disc or couple of commands like I post above?

Also I had some issues with my localhost Apache server with PHP 5.2.10 running when I was testing File Vault...permissions problems I think..

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. When it's FileVaulted (encrypted) there is NO WAY to get access to the data without the password.

6. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Okay, thank you, will turn it on and then check out my localhost..

Thanks again, never thought It will be solved so quick :)