How to prolong iPhone 6 battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I've heard different opinions on proper battery health for a new iPhone.

Some recommend doing a full battery charge before even attempting to use the brand new phone. Others say to start using the phone straight out the box and drain the power all the way to 0%.

When I bought my previous iPhone, the salesperson said that battery cycling isn't really necessary with today's phones.

I'd like to hear what you do to prolong iPhone 6 battery life?

2. April Knight, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

April Knight Suspended

Previously, devices that used Nickel-based solutions for rechargeable batteries always came with the recommendation to drain them to 0% out of the box, charge to 100%, and then drain them again for maximum longevity. That's because those battery types could develop charge memory. These days, with Li-ion batteries, no such thing is required right off the bat-- although it is good to drain your battery and charge to 100% every so often just to keep the battery calibrated.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

4. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for that. I was doing full charge and drain each time with my 3G and the battery life was horrible.

When I got the iPhone 5 I kept the battery topped off and drained it every one to two weeks. That seemed to work pretty good. I think it had more to do with a better overall phone though.

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You're welcome. Is your nickname from Ace Ventura? :D