How to pronounce DAX and CAC40

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Is there a standard way to pronounce or say DAX (German stock exchange) or CAC40 (French stock exchange)? Do you say D-ah-x, or D-A-X?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I don't know about DAX, but CAC40 is pronounced in French like it's a word. Something like kɑk and then quarante (forty in French).

Search for videos on youtube, and you'll hear native speakers pronounce it.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I don't know about DAX, but CAC40 is pronounced in French like it's a word. Something like kɑk and then quarante (forty in French).

Search for videos on youtube, and you'll hear native speakers pronounce it.
Thanks, though it may be easier to just let CNN or CNBC drone on in the background.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Interesting. Where are you from?
Germany. And actually you're right with Dacks (or even Dachs), but only if you pronounce it as a german would do. I assume you pronounce it more like (M)acs?

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Germany. And actually you're right with Dacks (or even Dachs), but only if you pronounce it as a german would do. I assume you pronounce it more like (M)acs?
Yep. Macs, stacks, hacks, racks...

By the way, kylera, in keeping with the stock market theme, the main London based index I hear about is the FTSE 100. Called the "footsie." In Hong Kong, there's the HSI - just the initialism is used. And the Nikkei in Japan is just "the Nikkei." ("Knee kay.")

That's all I know about foreign stocks. :eek: