How to properly Archive and Install Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by montycat, May 22, 2010.

1. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Im a little confused about doing an Archive and Install in SL. There is not an option to do this like there was in Tiger. I spoke to Apple Care and was told to click on Install Mac OS X icon on the install disk for an Archive and Install. After reading some old posts on this subject, this method seem questionable. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Don't question it. The advice the AppleCare rep gave you is correct. In Snow Leopard, there aren't any options for the type of install. The installer Archives and Installs your system automatically, preserving your update level, once you click Install.

3. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

Thanks for the info:)

4. dimi94941 macrumors regular

So all of my settings, files, applications aren't touched?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Correct! It'll preserve your applications, user data, and settings. Applications that installed kernel extensions will need to be re-installed after this process (virtual machine software, software for a hardware device to enable its full features, etc.).

6. dimi94941 macrumors regular

I installed the Snow Leopard ... It didn't erase any of my stuff...

But I just noticed my space capacity is lower. Before the install, I had 180 GB free and now I only have 90 GB free space.

Could someone explain to me, how this happened? Can I do something about it?????

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a folder on your disk called "Previous System". That's where your old system lives. If you're sure you have everything you need from there, you can safely delete it to free up space.

8. dimi94941 macrumors regular

I don't have that file. I read somewhere that Snow Leopard doesn't have this file... :(