How to properly import mp3's in to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RipGroove, Nov 2, 2014.

1. RipGroove macrumors member

Is there a way to import mp3's from PC in to the iTunes library? I can get the songs in there no problem via import or create playlist but when I move or delete the source MP3 iTunes freaks out because it can't find it (understandable). So is there a way to do this so the songs are actually imported into the iTunes media folder much like when you import a CD?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want iTunes to copy the files, in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced check these boxes:
    [​IMG]
    Or you could manually move the files on your computer and uncheck those boxes before adding the files to iTunes.

You add them by selecting File > Add To Library

3. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

How to properly import mp3's in to iTunes?

Ok thanks, well that sort of worked, although iTunes no longer freaks out when I delete the source MP3 and plays it fine, when I navigate to my iTunes media folder the mp3s are not there? The only thing that shows up in there is that damn U2 album.

So if I've deleted the source MP3 where is iTunes playing it from?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the file path in the image I posted, above the check boxes. That path on your Mac shows the iTunes Media folder location. That's where iTunes stores the files when it copies them. You can also right-click on any song in iTunes and select "Show in Finder" to see its location.

5. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but I'm using Windows 8.1

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just a recommendation:

Even after you import the songs into iTunes (which physically places a copy of the song into the iTunes library), it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the -mp3 original copies- stored someplace else, preferably on a different drive.

One copy is never enough...

7. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

That's actually the reason I want to import fully into the iTunes media folder. All my music and photo's are backed up to an external 2TB HDD which is not always plugged in to any given PC/laptop so when it's unplugged iTunes won't play any songs/albums. Which I obviously need to fix.

----------

Even though I have albums in iTunes they are not in the iTunes media folder:

[​IMG]

----------

Solved, for some reason I had 2 iTunes media folders, the one I knew about was empty and the one I found had my files in it. All sorted now.

8. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I see this is solved, but honestly, the best way to add files to iTunes is to drop them in the "Automatically Add To iTunes" folder that it creates along with your media library. iTunes will take the files located there, move them according to it's defined storage structure, and add them to the library.

I've found this far more reliable than adding via the GUI.

9. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Ooh good tip, will try that thanks