How to properly install Crucial M4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Aug 20, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2010
    No doubt I've inundated this forum with tales of M4 trouble in my '11 13-inch MBP. Before I declare it defective, I want to try one last time to properly install it. It performs well for stretches of time before random 20-30 second beach ball interruptions. The benchmarks are good and all the symptoms I experience, others had once experienced before Firmware 0002. I checked System Profiler and it recognizes the latest firmware.

One of the Crucial customer service reps I spoke to, told me to reformat the drive then let it idle for 4-5 hours before installing the OS. How exactly should I go about this? Zero out the partition, then create a new one? Which is what I've done. Once I install OS X, I have to update to the latest version, 10.6.6 -> 10.6.8. Could somebody jot down a list of things to do for mildly retarded individual? I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks!
  2. MKang25 macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2010
    Are you sure that its not your Sata Connection thats faulty, if you have any other SSDs you should try those. I installed firmware 2 and didn't reformat it or anything and it worked fine. From the posts that I've seen it seems like you may have a defective SSD or a faulty Sata Coneector.
  3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2010
    I'm not too sure about that. The problems I'm experiencing are exactly what others have dealt with until software/firmware fixes. It leads me to the conclusion that it may be me. The drive seems awfully sensitive to software conditions.