How to properly manage the MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuyInTheBack, Aug 22, 2008.

1. GuyInTheBack macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

I recently got myself a Macbook Pro (got screwed on the price though...damn craigslist) and I'm wondering what the most efficient way to charge is.

Right now I don't plug it in unless the battery's close to empty (even if I'm near an outlet). Good or bad? Should I always leave it plugged in if possible?

My USAGE: Mostly at the desk. Will sometimes take it out to class, library....nothing over 2hours without an available outlet.

(PS. Aside from the charging wire...What is that other thick cable that comes with it??)

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I've had mine for over 7 months and it is plugged in virtually 100% of the time. Battery health according to iStatPro is 98%. I may run it down and recharge it completely every couple months or so, but I see no problems leaving it plugged in when it's on my desk.

3. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Is it bad to do that? Let it die (almost) before recharging?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I am just the opposite. I use mine unplugged 99% of the time. I only plug it in to recharge. I plug it in at night to fully charge it, and have to charge it sometimes durning the day. I use mine at the kitchen table overlooking the yard, my favorite chair in front of the TV, outside on the patio. I don't really care about charge cycles, or percentages. As long as I am getting 3 1/2 - 4 hours, using wifi, and brightness 100%, I am happy.

6. stomplex macrumors member

Depends upon your habits/tendencies. I bought a laptop because I wanted to be mobile so much of my time is spent "unplugged", working off the battery.

When I can, I'll leave it plugged in and work off the "wall power" just so that I'll have a full charge when I want to get up and go.

7. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Is there a habit that's worse than the other? I'm not a stickler for 100% efficiency either...I just want to take care of the battery and know if I'm doing something actively wrong.

8. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

What if during calibration you don't exit an app when the mbp goes to sleep? Is that rly bad? My mbp went to sleep with The Office season 2 DVD playing. :(

9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It's OK to do that. Just be sure that you save if you're using typing a paper or something else that needs saving.

BTW, the Office is an amazing show :)