How to protect a folder from being copied, but still be readable?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andy12, Feb 28, 2010.

1. andy12 macrumors newbie

I am sure this is a simple question to a lot of you. Is there any way to make a file and/or folder unable to be copied. By that I mean could I create a folder that is on a external that can be viewed and used but unable to be removed from the external without a password? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Copying is a read process, so you can't restrict the process of just copying a file or folder.

But you can restrict read rights with the help of the Sharing & Permissions tab of the Get Info window of your folder. But if you are the user of that computer, anyone using the same user will have the same rights.

So you might be smegged.

Maybe change your thread title to something more specific and descriptive like "How to protect a folder from being copied, but still be readable?", as I was expecting some picture thread off of your thread title.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG]button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.Have you also taken a look at MRoogle,since that question may have been asked several times?

3. andy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I have been spending a bit of time looking on MRoogle. First time I have ever used it. Pretty cool. Thanks again

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I read your question when you first posted, but I didn't respond
    I have been thinking about your challenge, and for the life of me, I can't think of a solution that meets your criteria

Hopefully there will be someone with more expertise to come along
    I just didn't want you think you were being ignored
    People may not be posting just because they don't have a solution either

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110