How to protect my MacBook Pro 13" Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AluminumMB, Dec 4, 2012.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

I love my new macbook pro. I want to protect it. I just bought a silicone keyboard cover which I am using now. I want to get a hard shell case for it to protect it from scratches. Any recommendations of where I can get one or what I should get to protect my precious Mac?

2. CirrusPilot macrumors member

In all honesty, it is kind of silly to put all of that stuff on a laptop. Those hard cases really don't do anything but give you a false sense of security. It is extremely hard to scratch aluminum, and if you drop the laptop the case isn't going to make one bit of difference anyway.

Also, be mindful of those keyboard protectors. They can leave marks on your screen when you close it.

The one piece of protection that might be worthwhile on a laptop is a palm rest protector, but you can't really use those on an rMBP anyway.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do your research on Apple's site, they do NOT recommend a protector on the keyboard since the space is very limited, I even have read stories about the glass breaking.
    Don't have the link now, I'll try to find it.

My power has been cut and battery is so so, I’ll add it later.

4. kimovski macrumors regular

Get a skin, then your are well protected! :D I use bestskinever.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I have the Speck Smart Shell Satin on my 15" MBP. I have dropped it from waist height onto my cement driveway and it was fine.

I really like the feel of the satin, but it makes it harder to pull from a tight bag if the liner material isn't slick.

6. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I believe is it only the palm rest area that Apple recommended not covering:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I notice this is the case as the macbook pro retina uses strong magnets to snap it shut, and any covering may interfere with that. As far as keyboard coverings, it seems fine.

Thoughts?

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Just use a neoprene sleeve and exercise some caution. You should be fine.

Personally I never understood why people spend money on nice design only to keep the device covered up 100% of the time.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

At home my rMBP sits in clamshell mode in a book arc stand connected to monitor, keyboard and mouse. During transport it is inside a Puma sleeve. In the field it is bare naked. :eek: So far it has survived many a trip to Starbucks.