How to protect new MacPro 2013 from liquid spills

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krisdepaepe, May 20, 2014.

1. krisdepaepe macrumors newbie

The design of the new MacPro with the air intake at the bottom makes it very vulnerable to liquid spills as I experienced recently. And the air outlet at the top is an even bigger challenge. In comparison the old MacPro raises high on its feet and is much better protected.
    Due to its concise design and relatively light weight, I have to secure the new MacPro's in the office with a lock. Fortunately I found the company MacLocks who produces a cable to do this.
    But I didn't find any manufacturer who makes a stand that raises the new MacPro to a level where its protected form liquid spills. I was left with no choice then to make one myself. Not a very difficult task but the result somewhat blemishes the design of the MacPro.
    I read that the MacPro could be operated sideways and I was wondering if someone could design and commercialize a sleek transparent or aluminum stand that would protect this beautiful machine against the hazardous office environment.
    Please feel free to post me.

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Don't drink at your computer desk if you don't want to risk spills.

3. cgc macrumors 6502a

Potential solutions:

1. Don't drink beverages near the MacPro
    2. Drink only from sippy cups
    3. Buy a single floor tile and put on desk with MacPro on top of tile
    4. Put MacPro on the floor on a milk crate

This isn't really difficult but I assume you want something aesthetically pleasing...

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Mount it inside cMP case.

Will hide the cable clutter and protect the delicate internals.

5. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Maybe something like a thick circular rubber coaster in black or a circular piece of wood.

If you have an apple SuperDrive you could sit the nMP on top of it.

Granted any time I have a drink on my desk, it's on the opposite side from my nMP.

6. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

I spilled a coke on my first ever laptop. It was back in the '90's, my job had just bought it for me. Fried it. Ever since I have a no drink policy around computers, unless they're sufficiently separated. My nMP is behind my monitor, so drinking at my desk is OK.

My brother fried a MBP from a dropped drink. Cost $900 to fix I think.

7. m4v3r1ck, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

My clean (and mean) desktop policy for my workspace! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. snarfquest macrumors regular

Wall mount your monitor with a bracket rated a good mount more then the monitor needs. Then velcro the nMP to the back of the monitor/bracket. Secure all the cables etc with veltro/wire wraps. Then you'll have just the 2 power cables coming down, a clean desk and the nMP safely off the desk :)

9. hassiman macrumors member

What and where is a cMP case?

What and where can you get a cMP case?:confused:

10. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I use the ikea computer holder for a oMP, it keeps it under the desk, given the size of the new one you can put an external array and the nMP on it and keep it all out of the way.

11. bxs macrumors 6502

Obtain a black netted bag and place MP6,1 in the bag... then suspend bag+MP6,1 from ceiling.

This will allow it to be raised above any underlying surface, the netting will not obstruct air flow and protect it from liquid spills through the top and can easily be rotated to access the ports.

12. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

My desk has shelves. Put it on an upper shelf.

13. matty1551 macrumors 6502

THIS. Cables are cheap nowadays with websites like Monoprice, Amazon, etc. Buy long cables if you need certain peripherals closer to you and put the MP up on a book shelf or similar.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

I think a glass enclosure with a cooling system equipped with HEPA filtration would be sufficient. That would probably be the best solution until force fields are widely available.

15. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

16. bxs macrumors 6502

Hey.... How about using a traditional Cray solution. Build a glass tank of sufficient size with an open top and fill it with 3M's Fluorinert Electronic Liquid and then immerse the MP6,1 into the tank along with its attached cables. The cables can be looped out the top.... then it will look like a miniature Cray-2.... :D

Attached Files:

17. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I made a stand for my nMP using 5 oak boards of thickness of 2 cm. The stand has a footprint of 20 cm x 20 cm and a height of 12.5 cm.

I already posted about this stand in the thread on nMP setups.

Attached Files:

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Put your tower as far away from you as you can. No pun intended...

19. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

Look for an old G5 case. I have one that my wife would love for me to get rid of, but I'm waiting for the price of Aluminum to go up ;)

I'd take the risk of a coffee spill over the risk of that baby falling from the ceiling any day. I vote for the sippy cup. Maybe you could get an Eddie Bauer one or something, and people would think it was cool.:cool:

20. MacPoulet macrumors regular

That would also keep it safe from bears and their picknick basket stealing ways.