How to put app from external HD on Dock??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBM007, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MBM007 macrumors regular

Assume its simple, but I've tried making an alias and it won't let me put it on the dock???
    Any idea how to do it??

Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean, you can't drag the icon from an open Finder window onto the Dock?

I just tested it, and you can't put aliases onto the Dock as it seems, there is no need for an alias anyway.

3. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

1st tried the app itself and it didn't work so I tried an alias and no luck either. Just trying to conserve a little harddrive space on my MacBook pro and getting tired of having to open my external to access the app

4. simsaladimbamba

You can use Spotlight, Alfred or Quicksilver or many other applications to launch applications. I used Spotlight, but now I use Alfred and it is faster than locating the icon on the Dock and clicking it.

5. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

Never hear of Alfred, gonna check it out thanks!!

Still think its kind of silly I can't put it on the Dock tho

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What OS, what computer? Are you the owner of the computer with admin account?

Just tested. I have no problem putting apps from disk image or another partition onto the dock.

7. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook Pro 2.2ghz(non-unibody) I'm the owner of the comp/admin.....trying to do it with photoshop on a lacie 2tb firewire 800 connection.....don't know why it won't work, guess I'll just move it to main apps folder??

8. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

What you want to do is to create a symlink (not an alias) to the application and put that in the dock. They will go on the left side.

Here's an app if you don't know how to do it manually:

SymbolicLinker

(Oh, and -obviously- try to avoid clicking it when the external HD is unattached.)