How to put iPhone apps and 3rd party apps on to your iPod WITHOUT SSH OR WIFI!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 14, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I did not write the apps mentioned and I dont take credit for them, however this tutorial is made by ME. I found out this method myself yesterday as I have no WiFi network to jailbreak/install apps with... If you are in the same position, read on...

Note: THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU HAVE A JAILBREAKED IPOD TOUCH WITH THE TERMINAL APP AND THE BSD SUBSYSTEM ON IT AND ARE USING A WINDOWS PC. I USED 1.1.1 IN THIS TUTORIAL, BUT THERE IS NO REASON WHY IT SHOULDN'T WORK IN 1.1.2 IF YOU DOWNLOAD THE 1.1.2 IPHONE APPS.

1) Download iBrickr from here
    2) Extract it wherever you want and run it then plug in your iPod, and it should come up with a screen saying
    -Ringtones
    -Sounds
    -Applications
    -Files
    3) Now, for this example, we are going to install the iPhone Notes app, but it should work with any other iPhone or 3rd party app. First of all, download the iPhone apps from the .zip file at the bottom of this post and unzip "MobileNotes.app"
    4) Now, back to iBrickr, the Applications option wont work as it needs a app to be installed on the iPod which simply is not compatible with it, so we are going to use the file browser, so click "Files" then Applications, now make a folder called "MobileNotes.app" (without quotation marks) then, when the list reloads, find your new MobileNotes.app folder and click it
    5) Now, make another folder called "English.lproj" (without quotation marks) and when the lost reloads click "Upload File(s)" then go to where you extracted the MobileNotes folder and click it then highlight everything inside, and click "Open"
    6) Now, when the uploading is done, click "English.lproj/" (which is the folder you made earlier) and click the upload button again, and go to where you put the MobileNotes folder on the computer and go into the "English.lproj" folder click main.Strings and click open, then wait for it to upload
    7) Most of the tricky stuff is now over, you can close iBrickr now and unplug the iPod, now open the Terminal and type the following command:
    chmod a+x /Applications/MobileNotes.app/MobileNotes
    Then tap return and type:
    reboot
    (then tap return again, obviously)
    After the iPod reboots, you should now have a Notes icon and a fully working notes app. You can use the method shown in this tutorial for any app, for Maps and Mail extra stuff has to be put in other folders, but its pretty easy to do that. Also, you always have to chmod new apps before they can be run, but thats easy too, just do it like this (in Terminal):
    chmod a+x /Applications/<application name>.app/<application name>
    Easy really!
    ENJOY!

EDIT: I am having trouble uploading the zip file, but until I get it uploaded somewhere, you can get the iPhone apps, and the extra files needed for the Mail and Maps apps here.

2. uburoibob macrumors regular

Might help to say that this is NOT a Mac application and you need a Windows machine to run it.

I wouldn't have had to waste my time...

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I said at the top that this tutorial assumes you have a Windows PC... READ IT PROPERLY!

4. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

pwned.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Nice work.

Yeah, it would be nice to have something on the Mac side for file transfer via USB. I mean I have a MacBook anyway, but USB would be a nice option to have.

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

There is software for the Mac called iFuntastic that might do the job, but it hasent been updayed in a while so im not sure... You can try if you want and tell us how you get on!

7. xilver macrumors newbie

how can i type in commands in the terminal?
    in windows, there is no such thing called terminal..it's in mac.
    or do i have to type something in the ipod? please help

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

'Run...' in the Start Menu I think is the Windows equivalent...

9. xilver macrumors newbie

the "chmod" command is used for mac only, not in windows cmd
    the guide itself is great, but i'm missing a few details about the commands..
    please help me out :)

10. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Start --- Run --- type in "cmd" w/o the quotes. Or if that doesn't work type in "command" and you should see a pretty little black box. However, Windows does not have an ssh client in their command prompt (thats what it is called) so I would recommend putty.exe its a lil black box but you can SSH into your iPod though putty.

11. xilver macrumors newbie

so you're saying that somehow i need to ssh into my ipod touch through a wi-fi network? i havn't got any so that´s why i want this guide to work..

12. xilver macrumors newbie

I think find myself a solution by jailbreaking into 1.1.2 and install SSH App in the ipod touch. I'm going to test the commands there if it´s working :)..

Edit: Doesn't work..I can't get this to work :/

13. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The Terminal commands are to be typed in to the MobileTerminal app on the iPod Touch, not the PC.

14. xilver macrumors newbie

yes i just figured that out before you posted it. thanks for the guide, it really helped :) I also found it possible to install themes this way by go to "var/root/Library/Summerboard/Themes" and there is no need to type any commands.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

16. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

17. Tlab66 macrumors newbie

Iphone

Fine ! But how do i get access to this "MobileTerminal app" on my Iphone ?

Thanks !

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Go into Installer and find Utilities and find "Term-vt1000" That's the app you need to do these commands. Also, you must have BSD Subsystem installed on your iPod as well... I think that's found in System

19. Tlab66 macrumors newbie

Got that !

Ok, i got Termnial VT 100 installed yesterday through iBrickr but i need to CHMOD it to be able to use it and to CHMOD it i need a connection and i don't have WIFI and that's the thing, i'm trying to Bypass it and work with a USB cable connection through my PC for internet on the iphone instead of WIFI.

Thanks !

20. xilver macrumors newbie

Connection? I managed to install the apps with ibrickr, then just typing in the commands and reboot. That´s it. Latest software I tried was google maps, works perfect