How to put MBP into sleep quickly once close the lid (breath light blinking)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldguru, Mar 19, 2013.

1. oldguru macrumors member

When close the lid, normally the mbp will be moved from one place to another place, or put into the bag, but the "sleep" will take a while (My mbp has 16 GB memory), the the sleep light start to breath blinking.

When the memory data writing into the HDD, the movement might damage the HDD.

How can I make the "sleep" as quick as possible once close the lid?

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

You can disable Safe Sleep, but beware: If the computer looses its power during sleep, the stuff you had open will be lost.

You can disable it with the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

Restart your computer, and try again.

3. jblongz macrumors member

Replace HDD with SSD. Sleep will occur much faster and you won't have to wait before you toss it into your bag and leap down a flight of stairs

4. nlynch77 macrumors member

Similar to what jafingi said, you could use the command

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 27

This makes your computer write RAM to your HDD while keeping the RAM powered, allowing fast wakeup times while maintaining full safety. The problem with jafingi's solution is that if you run out of power or otherwise cause your computer to shut off while asleep, you will loose any unsaved work.

Unless you have a mission-critical machine that cannot tolerate the infinitesimally small chance of ruining your hard drive, I suggest leaving well enough alone. After al,l these are mobile hard drives, with Apple's effective SMS sensor to prevent damage.

5. MrElvey macrumors newbie

MrElvey

Surely, large fraction of disk damage occurs when a drive is moving while in use and there's a head crash. Sure, the SMS helps a lot with that, but I doubt it's close to 100% effective. Also, moving it while its spinning is hard on the bearings, due to torque, and the SMS doesn't tell the drive to spin down; it just parks the heads. So, since all drives die eventually, it would seem logical that moving the laptop while doing a ton of drive activity is hard on the drive, and if you know it's going to be moving a lot, it's best to spin down the hard drive.

It's annoying that the manpage for pmset says don't use anything but 0,3, or 25 without explaining why. I'm going to give hibernatemode = 27 a try.

nlynch77,

Have you (or anyone) tried hibernatemode = 27? Had much success?

6. nlynch77 macrumors member

I've used Mode 27 for a very long time with no noticeable side-effects just to experiment, but it didn't really seem to make much of a difference. Leaving it at the portable-standard Mode 3 is probably advisable, to minimize disk writes while sufficient battery power remains.

7. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Maybe use keyboard shortcut to force sleep? Option + Command + Eject

To me it's always felt like this puts it into hibernation quicker than closing the display but ymmv.