How to put my itunes library on my airdisk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badhorsie777, Jul 23, 2010.

1. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Hey -

I've researched as much as I could find and it still confuses the crud outta me :eek:

I just finished ripping my whole cd library to apple lossless, and I want to get it off my laptop onto my airdisk (a raid 1 500gbx2 drive upstairs, attached to my airport extreme base station.)

I want to be able to see my locally stored (lower bit rate aac) stuff on my laptop and be able to connect to my "big" external lossless library when I want to, since I ideally don't want to keep this huge library on my hard drive in my macbook.

Is this feasible? I have plans down the road to somehow get this stuff streaming to my home theater, as well... probably an apple tv if they get updated.

Thanks!!!

2. tbertran macrumors newbie

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I'm just hoping your HD-AEBS-Mac connection will function better than mine.
    I use it mostly for Time Machine backups and it has the tendency to disconnect, probably timing out. It sometimes even makes the Finder hang forever.

When that happens (every couple of days or so), I need to physically turn off/back on the USB drive.

It's also fairly slow (even though I'm on 802.11n on the 5 Ghz band, Time Machine takes a few minutes to just start up, let alone drill down folders) but that should be enough to stream music.

3. badhorsie777 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome - can anyone help me MOVE my library to my airdisk and point itunes to it? Really no idea how, and I've googled it a lot. all the answers are from like 2007 and they don't involve the same hardware I have (airport extreme base station)

THANKS!!!