How to put new Imac on a Windows domain running server 2003?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dan Millen, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Dan Millen macrumors newbie

I am a new mac user (1 day) and have a few questions on how to get this on our windows domain running server 2003 and Microsoft exchange server?

I know very little and our IT department needs help as well.

I have looked and my biggest problem is I know almost nothing about the OS of a mac, I actually can't even tell the name of it....Sorry:confused:

We have a couple of things we want to do

1. Connect to our windows domain running server 2003
    2. Access our exchange server for Email

I have looked and have seen some guides explaining this exact process but I believe they are different releases of the Mac OS.

Is there a step by step guide that someone can post a link to?

The iMac is brand new!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dan

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

I am going to assume you have a computer running 10.5.4. If you have something less, then upgrade (it really is worth it). I am also going to make the assumption (it is a big one) that the DNS at your location is properly setup for your domain controllers, both forward and reverse (Windows does not necessarily use this, but it is crucial). Once you have that done, then you go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Services.app and attach to the domain.

On the email front, the assumption that has to be made is that the email admins have turned on IMAP on the server. Without that there is no chance, not even Microsoft's product (Entorage) works with out IMAP. With it is just another email account in Mail.app (it will be obvious).

3. Dan Millen thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sure the domain is setup properly, ill check the IMAP but again I think it good as well.

The problem is the machine connects to the domain but doesn't open the drives or folders. I really need a step by step guide. Sorry but I am really dumb when it comes to a MAC

Thanks for the help and Ill check back tomorrow and let you know about the pointers you gave me

thanks again

Dan

4. tempsaint macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm a new Mac user as well, although I've played around with other people's over the years. However, our VP wants an iMac so we ordered one for him and one for me to learn to support it.
    We're also using Windows domains with automated scripts that run off the server for mapping/mounting drives. Is this possible with OS X? It looks like Dan and I are in the same boat.

Thanks,
    Adam

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I don't believe it is possible, however if you mount a share on OS X, remember the password in Keychain, and drag the share to Login Items in System Preferences/Accounts, it should mount that on login.

6. belunos macrumors member

You are correct. Most login scripts use kix, which asfaik isn't supported on Macs.

The steps involved in adding a Mac to your 'domain' are kinda tedious. I won't explain it here because there are just too many tutorials with this information, and you should have found something by now. I will tell you that you want to chance your search perimeter from domain to Active Directory. Something in goolgle with add mac "active directory" should give you what you need.

If after pouring through what you find you still can't do it, then no offense, but you shouldn't be in charge of doing this.

7. tempsaint macrumors newbie

Thanks... and I do believe you are probably correct. The iMacs are due to arrive on Monday or Tuesday so I will look for some good online tutorials/guides. And yes, if I can't figure it out, then I shouldn't be doing it. No offense taken.

Adam