How to Put Site ON Internet

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok I made my first website that I want to put on the internet. Its for a dj company. I have 1 folder with all of the pages. I will be using godaddy most likely. After I purchase the domain do I need anything to put the site on the internet? Fetch or something like an ftp program? Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Espnetboy3 said:
After I purchase the domain do I need anything to put the site on the internet?
I'm sorry if this is way too obvious, but you need to purchase more than just a domain name, unless you've got your own hosting server. You have to have some place to host it -- GoDaddy will sell you hosting, but they will also just sell you a domain name. When you just buy the name, all you get is the right to register it to an IP address that you control. You still need a server / host.

But yeah, once you have a host, they will either provide you with a web-based tool to put files up, or more likely, FTP. You can actually FTP from the command line in both OS X and Windows, but something like Transmit will be much easier. :) And you can actually also FTP from Finder, depending on what kind of connection is offered.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
wordmunger said:
Yep. You need an FTP program. Transmit from Panic software comes highly recommended around here.
I tried Transmit, but didn't feel like paying for it. So I just use the file transfer utility in cPanel....

BTW, a great hoster is ASO...

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
After I purchase the domain do I need anything to put the site on the internet?
As mentioned above, you need a host. There is a thread located here that mentions hosts that MacRumors members like. :)

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
mkrishnan said:
You can actually FTP from the command line in both OS X and Windows, but something like Transmit will be much easier. :) And you can actually also FTP from Finder, depending on what kind of connection is offered.
Uhm how exactly? If you know how to get an FTP connection in Finder that isn't read only then please share. :) Even in Tiger the FTP connections in Finder are read only, most annoying!

I'll add another vote for A Small Orange as well!

EDIT: I hate it when boards that disable basic HTML like links and force you to use that BB Code crap...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jaseone said:
Uhm how exactly? If you know how to get an FTP connection in Finder that isn't read only then please share. :) Even in Tiger the FTP connections in Finder are read only, most annoying!

I'll add another vote for <a href="http://asmallorange.com">A Small Orange</a> as well!
Eeep, oops. :eek: I guess it's been a long time since I had write access to non-secure FTP. Terminal definitely can though.

Another thing that doesn't work...HTML in VBulletin. :D Use the web link button at the top, or the following format, with [] in place of the <>'s:

<URL=xxx>text</URL>

A Small Orange

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok, as far as hosting a basic site how is godaddy? I hear aplus is good to.
As for a program is fetch any good for an ftp program to put and update stuff to the site. I really apreciate all this help guys and girls thanks alot.