How to Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imacattack, Apr 13, 2008.

1. imacattack macrumors member

imacattack

When I download an audio file, it automatically downloads into iTunes. I cannot load the file elsewhere from iTunes as the file is in the grey. How can I download elsewhere or how can I get it to load from iTunes? Do I need other software and if so, what?:mad:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

download with what application? You can usually adjust an app's prefs to deem the default download folder.

3. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

I don't know what

that application is called. When I start to download anything, a lil window pops up and it begins to download the file. It will not allow me to do anything i.e. save as. Then I have to look all over the place to see where it was downloaded IF it was downloaded. What I need is to learn how to download a file and know where it is and be able to choose where I want it to download. Kinda like the PC. Is that possible?

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Are you downloading these audio files off of Internet websites?

If so what web browser are you using? This is the application in question. All the browsers I use have preferences for setting default download directories and/or whether to prompt each time.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

check your downloads folder HD-->users-->you-->downloads

6. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

I use Safari to open

whatever I am downloading. I just don't understand ow tis works. Like always, I will find out somehow. Perhaps I m not explaining myself?

7. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Have you tried to go to your download stack and then click dragging the file to whatever folder you wish to put it in?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

by default Safari automatically opens "safe" files after they are downloaded and iTunes opens mp3 and aac files by default.

so when you download an audio file in Safari it will automatically open and load into iTunes when it has finished downloading in the little downloads window.

to stop this untick 'Open "safe" files after downloadng' in Safari's preferences under General. then when the audio file has downloaded you can open the Downloads folder and double click on it to open in iTunes or open it with another app such as QuickTime Player by right clicking on it and choosing "Open With".

im not sure why the mp3 is grey when you try to play it in iTunes. by default iTunes adds audio files to its library when an audio file is dragged in or opened with iTunes. so when you open the audio file you just downloaded you will have 2 copies after it loads into iTunes, one in iTunes' library in the iTunes music folder in the Music directory and one in your Downloads folder. so maybe you deleted the copy in your iTunes music library. to change this behaviour check out iTunes' preferences.