How to Quickly Resize Images on Your Mac Using an Automator Service

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Resizing images in macOS is easily done in the Preview app, but if your daily workflow requires you to scale images to a specific size - for uploading to a blog, for example - then using an image resize service is a much faster way of getting the job done.

[​IMG]

In this article, we'll show you how to use the Automator app to create a simple service that will have you resizing images in just a couple of clicks, without even going near an image editing app. Keep reading to learn how it's done.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Quickly Resize Images on Your Mac Using an Automator Service

2. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502a

@MacRumors:

I really like these kind of tutorials. But I think you should try to find a way to group and organize them. So that people can find them after the fact.

Maybe create an overview page with an index... or make it a wiki or something. The things listed here are really cool and useful... like this they may be underused though.

3. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

There is one right there: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macos-10-13/#macos_high_sierra_guides_and_tutorials

It's not very easy to find though!

4. Xavier macrumors 68030

Automater is one of those tools that hardly anyone knows about. I use it all the time to convert a bulk amount of files, like PDF to JPG.

5. terrapinjess macrumors member

terrapinjess

I am loving these how-to’s, especially when it involves Automator.
    I currently have one set up to run upon login so it clears up my downloads folder by removing anything older than 7 days. Also one that allows me to adjust my play count in iTunes. Thanks for these! Keep ‘em coming!
    Automator FTW.

6. HackDaBox macrumors regular

HackDaBox

I would love one of these Automator services for shrinking the Size of comics in cbr

It would unzip / unrar then shrink then add to zip then rename to cbz

Anyone got any ideas

7. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Dang. This is really handy. I use Preview all the time to bulk reduce image DPI and size, and it's always the same size.

Saves a few hoops to jump through thanks MR!

8. ignatius345, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Anybody know if it would be possible to set this up as a Folder Action script so that any image dropped into a folder would be automatically resized?

EDIT: never mind, answered my own question. It's dead easy. When you start a new workflow in Automator, pick "Folder Action" -- then pick the folder you want it to watch, then use the "scale images" command detailed in the above article. Net result: drop an image into the folder and it's resized without any further steps. Wish I'd known about this back when I had to batch resize images for my old company's website...

9. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

Graphicconverter does re-sizing well, as well as many other functions. It also has batch conversion features.
    I use Automator and Applescripts for some things but generally use GC for image work.

10. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

11. Frantisekj macrumors newbie

Frantisekj

I was trying several years back similar thing. I wanted to export pics from iPhoto to folder where they would be scaled and then copied to TimeMachine used as NAS.
    Scaling pics via folder action was ok but I was not bale to manage process of copying results into other drive (retaining folder names)and removing them from original drive. Same task I would need to solve now as Apple Photos store pics in database and can not by manipulated easily. And creating sharing extension that would do that is i guess impossible.

Could anybody advise any trick to to move results to destination and removing originals? I will install H Sierra soon so don¨not know whether capabilities of Automator had grown since then and I am familiar with apple script only to the level or recording task.
    Thanks