How to quit apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by necropunk, Mar 1, 2010.

1. necropunk macrumors member

Hello there,

Just got my Iphone 3G S. Quite a phone :)

I've a doubt however: how do i quitt an app? I get that idea that if press the home button I'll just suspend the app and it will keep running in the background. How do I do the equivalent of command + Q?

I've seen online you should hold the home button for about 4 seconds, but if I do that I just end up activating the Voice Control....

Thanks in advance

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The home button does completely quit the app. Mail and Safari processes will continue to run, however, which is required to save your current webpage in memory and check for new mail per your email account settings. The iPod will also continue to play if you press the home button.

3. necropunk thread starter macrumors member

So, to quit the ipod I just hit pause and that's it?

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Hold the home button until the "slide to power off" appears. Then hold the home button until the app closes. That's how to force quit an app, like if it freezes.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, that's it. BTW, none of the apps you get from the App Store run in the background. Simply pressing home quits them.

6. necropunk thread starter macrumors member

When I hold the home button, the voice control is activated and nothing else happens. Short cut conflict maybe?

7. necropunk thread starter macrumors member

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He told you the wrong thing.

Hold the power button until the "slide to power off" appears. Then hold the home button until the app closes. That's how to force quit an app.

9. androiphone macrumors 65816

needless to say pressing the home button in any app does quit it fully, dead, simple as

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, it was needless, since I already said it. :)

11. celticpride678

You held the home button down for too long. It should be a very quick click and then let go of it.

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

the OP was told the hold the home button down, when the power button was what should have been said. but you're right, to quit an app, just click the HOME button once

13. outphase macrumors 65816

The following apps do not quit when pressing the home button (verified with a process monitor on a jailbroken phone):

Safari (if any tabs or sites are open)
    Mail
    iPod
    Phone

Any 3rd party one is supposed to quit unless they are frozen which some may accidentally remain in the background in which you can do a force quit in the "turn off" screen.