How to quit iTunes when already closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gvdv, Aug 24, 2009.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    First I apologize for the vague nature of this enquiry; although I have had a Mac for a while, I haven't used it much and a friend of mine has just encountered a problem which I would like some help with.

My friend has a Macbook, and keeps getting the message to "quite iTunes for all users". She can close this message, but it keeps on popping up again. iTunes is closed - or, rather, it looks as if it is closed because it is not on the screen.

Any ideas what this problem is, and how to approach it?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated,
    Thanks,
    GVDV

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

This is really strange i never got this kind of message, well to make sure it's closed open activity monitor and see if itunes is there.

hope this helps

3. devburke Guest

One difference between OS X and Windows is that closing all of the windows of an app doesn't necessarily quit the app. For example, you can close the iTunes window and iTunes will still be running, playing the music. You can tell which apps are open by looking at the dock. Look for this dude:

Picture 1.png

If you see it by an app's icon, that means the app is running. Right click the icon and click quit to really close it.

4. devburke Guest

Oh, and FYI, it looks like this when the dock is on the bottom of your screen:

Picture 1.png

5. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,
    Many thanks for the replies; I'm learning things I didn't know already, and will forward these replies to my friend.

Thanks, once again,
    GVDV

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Is it a persistent problem that a reboot hasn't sorted out?

7. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think that it has been going on for at least a few days.

8. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

BTW if you see the dot below the itunes logo, click on itunes and go to the menu bar on the top of the screen. Click on "iTunes" and click "quit iTunes".

9. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.