Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
First I apologize for the vague nature of this enquiry; although I have had a Mac for a while, I haven't used it much and a friend of mine has just encountered a problem which I would like some help with.

My friend has a Macbook, and keeps getting the message to "quite iTunes for all users". She can close this message, but it keeps on popping up again. iTunes is closed - or, rather, it looks as if it is closed because it is not on the screen.

Any ideas what this problem is, and how to approach it?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated,
Thanks,
GVDV

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Hi,
First I apologize for the vague nature of this enquiry; although I have had a Mac for a while, I haven't used it much and a friend of mine has just encountered a problem which I would like some help with.

My friend has a Macbook, and keeps getting the message to "quite iTunes for all users". She can close this message, but it keeps on popping up again. iTunes is closed - or, rather, it looks as if it is closed because it is not on the screen.

Thanks,
GVDV

This is really strange i never got this kind of message, well to make sure it's closed open activity monitor and see if itunes is there.

hope this helps

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Hi,

Thanks,
GVDV

One difference between OS X and Windows is that closing all of the windows of an app doesn't necessarily quit the app. For example, you can close the iTunes window and iTunes will still be running, playing the music. You can tell which apps are open by looking at the dock. Look for this dude:

Picture 1.png

If you see it by an app's icon, that means the app is running. Right click the icon and click quit to really close it.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
One difference between OS X and Windows is that closing all of the windows of an app doesn't necessarily quit the app. For example, you can close the iTunes window and iTunes will still be running, playing the music. You can tell which apps are open by looking at the dock. Look for this dude:

View attachment 190030

If you see it by an app's icon, that means the app is running. Right click the icon and click quit to really close it.

Oh, and FYI, it looks like this when the dock is on the bottom of your screen:

Picture 1.png

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for the replies; I'm learning things I didn't know already, and will forward these replies to my friend.

Thanks, once again,
GVDV

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
BTW if you see the dot below the itunes logo, click on itunes and go to the menu bar on the top of the screen. Click on "iTunes" and click "quit iTunes".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.