how to raid mac pro hds

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ansirone, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ansirone macrumors regular

ansirone

hi there,

i have 3 hds in my mac pro:

250 original hd
    300 gig hd
    500 gig hd

would you suggest to raid these hds? i would like atleast the 250 and 300 raided.

for now, i just cloned each drive with leopard for back up, which seems kinda pointless to me. but just to be on the safe side.

any help would be appreicated. thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can do it through software in Disk Utility, otherwise it requires extra hardware.

TEG

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could use software RAID to stripe (RAID0) the 250GB and 300GB drives, and use the 500GB unit as a backup. :)
    Keep in mind, the stripe would be based on the smaller of the two drives, resulting in 500GB total. ;)

If you do decide to use a stripe, make sure you keep everything you need backed up. Otherwise, you will be hating life when a drive fails. :p

4. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

can you lead me to a tutorial on how to go about doing a striped raid?

and ya, ill defintely back for sure.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The following came from Apple's support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2559?viewlocale=en_US

The link gives a brief description of the RAID types, so take a look if needed. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

6. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

I'd love to do this, so here's the delema. Since i cloned each hd with a copy of os x,I have some info stored in each hd. For example, I started using the 500 for all work related material while I used the 300 for personal storage, while the 250 had the inital install of os x. So everything is pretty scatterbrained. What's the best way to pile everything so I can raid the 2 drives? Thanks for all the assitance nano btw

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

But of course life must be difficult. :D :p
    I'll assume that you don't have another HDD, or access to NAS/off-site storage. ;)

So, you'd likely have to backup anything on the 500GB to DVD's. You can do the same for the smaller drives, or you could then wipe the 500GB, and copy anything from the smaller two you want to keep. (Assuming of course, it doesn't exceed the 500GB drive formatted capacity).

At this point, everything should be backed up, so you can get started on setting up the RAID. You may want to keep the OS X install disks nearby, just in case. :p

Reload any saved files from the DVD's and the 500GB drive to the RAID array. Wipe the 500GB, and set it up in Time Machine. Let it make the initial backup.
    Done. :D

Good Luck! :)

8. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

and to set it all up i just run the disc utilty on os x install this?

thanks for the assistance nanofrog!

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes. :)
    Not that difficult to set up. ;)
    The previous post was pertinent to your current drive situation...What to do before you use Disk Utility, since you have data on them you want. :eek: :p

10. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

thanks nano,

ok last few perliminary dumb questions from me before i start it:

does it matter which HD's in the slots? the 250 is in the first slot in the mac pro 2nd is the 300 then lastly is the 500 i have one left that is open. i am assuming that it doesn't matter does it?

once i combine the 2 hds, would i still be able to do a boot camp install of windows xp?

lastly, would you do a time machine back up or would do carbon copy cloned hd?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

12. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

13. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

14. nanofrog macrumors G4