How to read backed up Windows 7 files on MACBOOK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darinasp, Jan 20, 2015.

1. darinasp macrumors newbie

darinasp

I had to give away my old PC which had a Windows 7 installed and had some old documents which needed to back up. Backed them up on a USB and when I connect it to my Macbook, this green icon comes up instead of the files in the folder. Can't seem to find any setting for that.
    The second time I opened the backed up folders, they were just empty.

Please help with any solutions or similar issues.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Is your thumb drive formatted as NTFS? That could be your issue.

3. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

What's this green icon you are talking about?

Some questions:
    1) does your thumb drive work in other Windows machines?
    2) Is it those encrypted types where you have to run a program to gain access to the files?

And like snaky69 mentioned, is it formatted as NTFS? If it is, you will need software like Paragon NTFS, Tuxera etc to read and write to the thumb drive.

4. Honza1 macrumors member

Macs should be able to read regular NTFS drives - but not write or do anything else with them without special software.
    The drive should simply mount as read only and you should be able to copy files from there. If that does not work, there is something not right with the drive - either disk error (had few USB drives fail on me already) or something else is not right.
    However, most USB drives are formatted Fat32 or exFAT, which are both read/write OK with Macs.
    Not sure what green icon are you talking about at all. No green icons on my Mac.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you try using a PC to see if the files are accessible, i.e., go to your local library. Also I'm not sure what you mean by green icon. Can you do a screen grab and/or snap a picture.

6. Wirbowsky macrumors member