How to READ Excel files if you only have iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danny_w, Apr 7, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am going to be setting up an iMac for my wife and am looking into the extra software that I will need. She does a little bit of word processing and has always used MS Word, but she never liked it. She also gets some Excel and Powerpoint files from her friends to read, but has no need to create them. I think that iWork would do fine for a Word replacement and to display her Powerpoint files, but what to do about Excel files? She always used the free Excel and Powerpoint viewers under Windows. What do people here do?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unfortunately there is no good way to do this. I don't think you have an option except to use something like NeoOffice or OpenOffice, both of which are free. There's no standalone viewer, AFAIK.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Can you install just the spreadsheet module?

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I used icExcel the one time I needed to see an Excel doc, but it's $20 once the trial period is up. Don't know if a freeware viewer exists, but you might try macupdate.

Before you buy anything, you might wait for the next version of iWork to be announced...It's rumored to have a spreadsheet, so some level of compatibility might exist.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

This might be a lot of trouble, but she could ask for PDF documents instead of Excel spreadsheeets. However, it may be worthwhile to purchase Office for Mac 2004. She may not like MS Word, but since she probably already has a lot of docs (and spreadsheets), it would be worth the purchase.

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, I know, that is probably the best solution, and the Student & Teacher edition is only $130. I was just trying to stay all Mac if possible.

EDIT: I did find the ThinkFree Viewer widget that would probably work for the few times she needs it. It's a though anyway.

7. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

How about Google

Try opening the file in Google spreadsheets:
    http://docs.google.com/?action=updoc

I doubt it works with Pivot Tables or macros (haven't checked the docs, but pretty convinced those won't work), but for 95% of Excel docs I bet she'd be fine.

Try ThinkFree too... http://www.thinkfree.com/

8. VoidBoi macrumors regular

For all my Word and Excel usage, I've always used Google Docs and Spreadsheets at http://docs.google.com/

They don't do everything their MS counterparts do, but enough for what I use them for. (you can also use them from any computer online, and collaborate with other people too!)

EDIT: oops, you beat me to it.