How to read hard drives with OS X on it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman3350, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jman3350 macrumors member

I have a few older macbook pro hard drives (oldest from 2009/2010) and I'm trying to get data off of them. I threw them in my new macbook pro to try to get the data off of them, to transfer to an external hard drive but I can't boot into OS X, Windows (Bootcamp), or the recovery HD. With windows i get the BSOD so quick you can't see it, then it reboots. With the other 2, I get the no entry sign. I have some stuff such as games on there that I ported that I'd like to retrieve but I don't know how I can.

(I also have a custom built PC that I could plug them into if that would be better, but it doesn't show up)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you put them in external drive enclosures, you should be able to access the data easily from any Mac without having to boot from the drives. If you want to boot from them, attach them as external drives and hold the Option key down while restarting your MBP. They should appear as optional boot drives.

If you want to access the drives from Windows, you'll need MacDrive or HFSExplorer.
    • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

3. Edie Brickell macrumors member

If you are unable to boot your Mac but want to recover your stuff from the hard drive which is not able to boot. You can try Stellar Phoenix Mac Boot DVD which is easy to use and recover your data from this dead hard drive