How to Ready iPad for Selling?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trvlngnrs, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I have my iPad up for sale. If I sell it, what do I have to do to clear all the apps, documents, music, movies, contacts, etc.

I'll be getting a Gen 3, so I don't want to have to delete everything out of iTunes.

Thanks for your help!

2. Bchagey macrumors 6502

On the ipad itself....Settings>general>reset>>reset all settings and data. Make sure to back up to the cloud or computer before doing so.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Likewise. May not matter but I'd feel better. Also in the "maybe not necessary but won't hurt" category would be to sign out of / turn off iMessage.

I'd also backup to BOTH icloud and my computer (whichever you have set up as the default, you can do the other one manually too).

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Just one "Erase All Content and Settings" isn't actually enough if you want your Apple ID removed from the App Store log in screen. While I was getting my iPad 2 ready, I noticed that when I went to sign in to check, my ID was still there. So now I do it at least twice and skip the Apple ID section both times. This will insure your ID is gone from the device.

On another note, when you open an iPad, is it already powered on? I'm giving mine to a child so I want them have the best out of the box experience. If it is powered on, how long would the battery last in standby?

6. Trvlngnrs thread starter macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

7. ejisfun macrumors regular

Every apple product I've opened has been turned off. You open it up, hit the power button and it goes to the apple logo and then to that fancy welcome screen.

8. maclook macrumors 65816

I noticed that also but erasing twice didn't solve the issue. I think the issue was that the iPad was plugged into my computer when I erased all content. When it wasn't plugged into iTunes, it asked me to plug into iTunes or connect to wifi. After connecting through wifi, all the IDs were blank.

9. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I did the "erase all contents and settings" option, didn't think to check if my ID was still there so hopefully not.

As for opening the products from Apple, they are supposed to be turned off. However, my first Apple product I ever purchased was an iPod mini and it arrived powered on. :eek:

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks for the replies. I'll fully charge before packaging so the kiddo will at least be able to power it on and begin using it.

Re: ID's - I'm not sure if there's a certain number of times it must be ran or if it's plugged into a computer. Really, it's not all that bad as the only thing on there is your Apple ID. It's not like it saves the password as well. :)

11. 1appleAday macrumors regular

Anyone see any need to overwrite the flash storage with unimportant data a couple times (kind of like overwrite regular HD with random data)? Unimportant data can be some video shows etc. The point is to prevent people from running special app to dig up personal info that's supposed to be erased. I'm not sure if this is an overkill since I haven't heard there's an app to dig up erased info from iPad -- not in App store anyway, but not so sure about jailbreak app. Am I being paranoid?

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

13. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

If I backup my ipad 2 to the iCloud, sell it today and buy an ipad 3, can I restore the ipad 3 to have all the apps and data my ipad 2 had?

Thanks

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

That is how it is supposed to work. Given that nobody has an ipad3 yet, it's difficult to say it will definitively work that way.

I'd backup to icloud and also to iTunes. Since you'll wipe the device, a backup of your backup is a good idea.

15. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks!