How to really clear out your memory?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jlmitnick, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

TLDR at bottom

So the past few weeks my iPhone has been kinda sluggish. According to sbsettings, my available memory would get down to like 20 mb, and if i click the kill processes button and even manually close everything in my app switcher bar, that would just make it go up to like 80mb free.

This morning I installed something and had to restart the springboard. When I restarted it, my phone "crashed" and went into a perpetual spinning circle tick animation. After 15 minutes of waiting, I decided to hard reset by holding down home+power. Phone went off, then I press the power button, and it takes a good 5 minutes of the Apple logo, then finally gets booted up.

But now, according to sbsettings I have 290mb of memory free! And the phone is running like a dream again. Yet all the appropriate background apps are indeed running correctly (sbsettings, iBlacklist, etc.).

So, in my long winded post:

TL;DR - How do I really clear out my memory and get up to like the >250mb of free memory range where the phone runs really well?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

get remove background from cydia you set up an activator gesture(example mine is set to a double tap of the status bar) this clears the background apps and its makes my RAM increase bac to 200-250

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This works great and is what I use. I have mine set to run whenever I swipe down on the statusbar. After installing this, and you still notice the MB's are a little low, reboot (not respring) and that'll clear out all the background goodies that are running.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

a blunt object to your head will clear out your memory quickly and efficiently... :D

5. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I also have Remove Background but use the shake & bake method in Activator....one shake and they're all gone.

6. OhioLefty macrumors regular

I use the same method, simple and effective tweak.

7. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

I use it with the sbsettings toggle n on my iad2 i just double tap the time in status bar ! I l:apple:Ove jb