How to REALLY empty the trash??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skika, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Skika macrumors 68030

Hi,

i have a problem, there is this one folder in my thrash that won't delete no matter what :confused:. How does one really empty the trash? I tried with cmd and it still doesnt want to delete. I heard you can do it via Terminal, and that way it deletes it for sure? I tried once the Terminal option but it didnt work, but i suspect i was doing something wrong, would someone care to explain how can i do it the right way?

Tnx

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What won't delete? Have you rebooted your machine then tried a secure empty trash?

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

have you tried force emptying trash?

1. Click down on the trash can until the menu appears.
    2. Hold down the option key
    3. Select empty trash from the menu.

If that doesnt work log into the admin account and open terminal....
    a. If its the admins accounts trash thats being a problem type in the command
    b.If its another account, but replace the bit in italics with the account name
    You'll need to enter the admin account password after those commands for them to work too.

4. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried this, and it still doesnt work :(. It asked me for password and i entered it and nothing changed, the folder is still there :confused:

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

6. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

Same :(

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

You tried the force empty trash? or the terminal commands? or all of it?

Have you checked your permissions?

9. abraham.a macrumors newbie

I think you try again to simply logging off and re-signing in or to check the settings of your machine.

10. martosprint macrumors 6502

I use a little app called "Force Empty Trash" on my iMac for the rare times that trash won't empty normally. Just google it and it's a small 3 KB download. It always worked for me. 

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are you using Parallels for Windows or other virtual machine program?

I had this happen once. It turned out that somehow a .Trash folder had an item in it on the C:\ drive. So the item would show up in the Mac's trash can whenever Parallels was loaded and the C: drive showed up on the desktop.

To remove it I went to the root folder of the C: and deleted everything inside the .Trash folder. You may need to enable viewing of hidden files and system protected files in Windows (I don't recall if it was hidden).

You may also want to check for a .Trash folder on any NTFS drives you have mounted.