Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 14, Apple lets you disable individual Home Screen pages thanks to the App Library, which is available to keep your apps better organized. However, not everyone gets on with the App Library, and it's not possible to rearrange the order of your ‌Home Screen‌ pages, nor can you delete a page outright rather than merely disabling it. In ‌iOS 15‌, though, you ‌can do both. Here's how it works.

iOS-15-General-Feature-Yellow.jpg

How to Rearrange Home Screen Pages

1. Touch and hold a space on the Home Screen to enter jiggle mode.
  2. Tap the row of dots representing your Home Screen pages.
  3. In the Home Screen grid that appears, touch and drag a page to rearrange it in relation to your other pages. The others will move to make way in response to your drag action.
  4. Tap Done in the top-right corner of the screen when you're happy with the new arrangement, then tap Done again to exit jiggle mode.
rearrange-and-delete-home-screen-pages-ios152.jpg

How to Delete Home Screen Pages

1. Touch and hold a space on the Home Screen to enter jiggle mode.
  2. Tap the row of dots representing your Home Screen pages.
  3. In the Home Screen grid that appears, tap the tick under the page that you want to delete.
  4. Tap the minus (-) icon in the top-left corner of the page to delete it.
    Tap Done in the top-right corner of the screen when you're finished, then tap Done again to exit jiggle mode.
ios15-delete-home-screen-pages.jpg

When you delete a Home Screen page, the apps that were on the page are not deleted and remain in the App Library. You will have to drag them out of the App Library if you want to re-add them to the Home Screen.

Alongside ‌iOS 15‌, Apple also introduced iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15 at this year's WWDC. The new software for Apple's devices will be available for general release in the fall. If you missed WWDC, be sure to catch up on all of Apple's announcements by watching our nine-minute recap video, or check out our dedicated OS guides in the roundup menu at the top of the site.

Article Link: iOS 15: How to Rearrange and Delete Home Screen Pages

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
A good feature that isn't mentioned above: the DND replacement (Focus) can have various profiles with their own home screen selections.

One could create a home screen that only shows when you have your "Study" profile set, for example. (Focus profiles can be activated by automations such as location.) To help with this, apps can appear on multiple home screens. In fact, it's even possible for apps to appear multiple times on one home screen. No idea why that would be useful, but ...

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
All I want to know is, can we get rid of the app library, I hate that thing so much. So many times scrolling to right when I don't use it.

Just let us hide the App Library page then i will Never use ever.
The App Library is born from good intentions, it's just poorly implemented. Apple has no idea how to categorize apps, and the developers can't be trusted to label them either. As a result, Todoist, FedEx, and Venmo get grouped together.

All they need is smart folders based on user-created tags.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Great!!

I was looking for a way to do this. It'd be great to change the order of pages based on what I'm doing.

Say, have the page of work apps first, then when backpacking put all my backpacking apps first.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
It would be nice to be able to create a Home Screen layout and save it. That way I can create a new one and still have the previous layout saved and can switch back to that if needed with a single click.

The Focus feature is getting closer to what I’m after. I’m quite keen to give my Home Screen layout a complete overall but the prospect of having to recreate my original should I not like the new one is putting me off.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I want to be able to place the apps and folders anywhere on the home screen within the 4x6 grid.

I hate that apps and folders have to be placed left to right in rows top to bottom.

Otherwise, it seems Apple once again is adding complexity to satisfy a few users while overlooking the obvious.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I didn’t like the App Library at first. However I then tried making do with just one Home Screen that contained some widgets and my most used apps and using the App Library for everything else. Once I started using the App Library it grew on me. All my most used apps are on top, and I can search for those I use more rarely.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Add me to the list of people who want the ability to disable the App Library.

I doesn't serve a purpose for me. They try to bundle together related apps... but sometimes they make weird choices. So I'd have to hunt for the apps anyway.

And it attempts to put the 3 most important apps available at the top of the folder... and you must dig deeper to see the rest.

Well if an app is that important... it's already on one of my home screens. So why do I need it on top in the App Library?

And for infrequently-used apps... I'm not gonna wade through the App Library. Search works just fine.

So yeah... I'm not a fan... though I understand if some people are. I just want the option to hide/disable it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I want an ability to “pin” apps from app library directly to Home Screen. Drag and drop is cumbersome to say the least. Also there seems to be no way to select multiple apps from App Library and drag them altogether to the Home Screen. Yes, icon management on Mac (and windows).

Reactions: George Dawes

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Here another vote for disabling the App Library. It’s completely redundant, a poorly implemented version of the home screens but without having the ability to customise. In my opinion they should do this:

- keep the home screens, lose the App Library on the right and the widget page on the left.
- allow to customise each Home Screen with their own title and background.
- lose the mandatory snapping of apps and widgets to the top.
- add an option to auto categorise each Home Screen so you have games, work stuff, … grouped together. With this option enabled, newly downloaded apps are added to the correct Home Screen instead of the random crap that is happening now and causing the mess the App Libraby is trying to solve.

This would also make the new Focus profiles much easier to configure as each Home Screen has a title. You can still access apps on hidden home screens through Spotlight.

I at least would prefer to swipe to a Home Screen called Work with the confidence all my work related apps are there, rather then to hunt down the Productiviy category in the current App Library only to find out the app I need is located in the Utilities folder.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If I had just one observation about App Library, it's that you can only access it after swiping past your last home page, but the people who presumably would benefit from it the most are also the ones with multiple pages of apps that they downloaded but never got round to organising. So to get to it, they would have to swipe past the app they wanted to to access in the first place.

I wonder if it might make more sense to move App Library to the left of the home screen, replacing the existing widgets page. So it's always accessible one swipe away after you unlock your phone, which I imagine would be more convenient to reach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.