How to recalibrate battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwt, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

I just got a replacement battery for my Powerbook G4, and screwed the whole first charge up.

First, I left the computer plugged in as I hot-swapped the old with the new. The new one didn't seat properly (but it had already begun charging) so I pulled it out and reseated it. So I disrupted the first charge.

Then, my girlfriend started using it and transferred it (on battery) to another area in the house and plugged it back in, thus screwing up the first drain. Of course she said, "I didn't know." And I reminded her that we talked about this. Then she changed her response to, "Well, I didn't remember." OK.

So is there a way of resetting the battery, because it looks like it's only going to provide 4 hours of battery life instead of 5?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

I know about that article. If all you have to do is fully drain the battery and fully charge it, then why would Apple make such a big deal about the first charge cycle? This article assumes a successful first charge cycle. There is a way to truly reset it. I did it once before, but I can't remember how.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its good practice to fully calibrate a lithium battery for its first charge cycle. this ensures it has a good "memory" so it can have maximum charge.

but if you didnt do it for your first cycle dont worry just do it now and then repeat every one to two months.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

A lot of this stuff is just a leftover from the old times when NiMH, NiCd and other much more sensitive batteries were used. In reality, the warning labels are just there so that you are extra careful, although you can't break anything.

AFAIK they calibrate the batteries in the factory for the first time and then charge them to about half capacity, which is the optimal for leaving the battery inactive. I'm sure you didn't ruin your battery just because the first charge wasn't perfectly seamless.

The situation is pretty similar with mobile phones, even the newest models are often equipped with manuals that tell you not to turn the phone on and charge it for a day (or some other insane amount of time) before you use it for the first time. Everyone knows that's nonsense.