Francesco Cinque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
Milan (Italy)
Do you have some tips about batteries?

I mean: do you usually use the laptop plugged to ac or do you use it on battery? On a long term perspective what is the best practice to follow? Use the battery until 20% and then charge to 100%? Or use it less possible?

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I just use my laptops and have never had any issues getting to the design life (1000 cycles) on any MBP. The only thing I do not do is leave it plugged in if I am not using it for long periods. Otherwise, I charge before I go somewhere, and charge when it needs it. Other than to see if it needs charging for a flight I never look at a battery charge.

Reactions: ascender
Comment

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Always plugged in at the desk and when not using battery.

I try to never go below 40% on battery tho

Comment

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
How to recharge battery on MBP 16''
It's really quite simple. The computer ships with a white brick-shaped device called a "charger" and long white cable with which to connect it to the computer. On the computers screen, look in the upper right corner to see the battery level. Unless the battery is already full, plug one end of the cable into the "charger" and the other end into any of the computer's ports. While the charger is plugged into power, the computer's battery will recharge until full.

Comment

Francesco Cinque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
Milan (Italy)
Ahahah you're right, my question wasn't that clear ?
In the past I read an article (from Apple) regarding the iPhone battery maintenance. They suggested to recharge it less possible, always recharging from 20% to 100%. Never go under 20% battery and never unplug until is fully charge (just if you want to maximizethe battery life).

I was guessing how it works on a laptop with a non-removable battery

Comment

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I agree that you don’t have to micromanage the battery, but I would still advise not keeping it plugged in all the time without ever letting it discharge. I did this with my previous MBP and had swollen batteries twice.

Comment

trailmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Pondering the same thing myself. Used to working on laptops at a desk maybe 80% of the time so I'd keep them docked and on mains. Most techies I know are averse to that and recommend battery use as much as possible. My 16" battery is 4-5 days in and draining super fast. Hoping that's gonna change.

Comment

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Anectodal. Plenty of people, me included, keep mine plugged in almost all of the time and have never had swollen batteries. If there were a risk, Apple would advise against it. YMMV.
I was also told specifically by the tech not to keep it plugged in all of the time and to let the battery discharge from time to time. (Yes I know that these people don’t always know what they’re talking about.) I’m just saying, before this happened twice within a span of a couple of years, I assumed that Apple’s software would just handle it, but now I am not so sure.

And no, leaving it plugged in all the time won’t cause it in every case, but whenever I read about people having swollen batteries they seem to say that they generally used it as a desktop, so it seems like it increases the risk at the very least. Mine was probably a worst case scenario because it was plugged in all the time and never allowed to sleep

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.