Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narked Diver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Hi,

My wife has a 32 GB ipad and she has used up about 30 GB

About 15 GB are photos that have downloaded from the iCloud when she has viewed them

She has photos optimised so her whole library (over 100 gb) is not stored on the ipad - only those she has viewed

I know iOS is supposed to clear these down as necessary but 15 GB seems a bit excessive

Is there any way to manually clear photos off the ipad manually without deleting them?

Thanks in advance

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The short answer is no. However, there is a longer answer.

If iCloud Photo Library > Optimize Storage is working correctly, it will automatically remove photos when the storage space is needed for other purposes. If there's little demand for the remaining 2 GB, it may leave things just as they are.

The long answer is that an Erase all Content and Settings followed by a Restore From iCloud Backup may achieve what you desire. When I've done that (in attempts to resolve various, unrelated issues with my old iPhone 6, and when setting up my iPhone X), the amount of space used by Photos was reduced dramatically. In the case of iCloud Photo Library > Optimize Storage, it seems it only downloads the thumbnail images when you restore, and downloads larger size images only when you view them.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
Get her a new IPad with 128Gb or 256GB and Problem solved

hiltonnn.JPG

Narked Diver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for the various suggestions

I’m wondering if the following would work

Turn off iCloud Photo Library on her ipad then manually delete all the photos from her phone and then turn iCloud Photo Library back on

What it prevent the photos from being deleted from her iCloud or would they be deleted when the iPad syncs to the iCloud when the photo library is turned back on?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Since you have "Optimize iPad Storage" I'd just forget about it and let the OS manage storage the way it's built to.

Narked Diver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Since you have "Optimize iPad Storage" I'd just forget about it and let the OS manage storage the way it's built to.

I would but iOS doesn’t seem to be managing it - my wife is getting a lot of “cannot do that - not enough storage” alerts :(

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: turning iCloud Photos off/on: I am not using that part of iCloud, so a guess here, but, all the iCloud functions seem to have option of "remove from device" or "keep on device" when toggling off. So, in theory, can turn off Photos, select remove, then reenable where the database should rebuild, but will not affect iCloud.

Basically, should work as if you are getting rid of a device and replacing with a new/different one.

Reactions: dubvulture
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.