Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Is there software or something on the AppStore that allows me to record audio that is coming out of the system? (not through microphone). I know there are apps out there that do screen recording, but audio recording is based on what you say to the microphone, but I am looking for something that can record audio that is being played from the system.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
It's not on the App Store, but download Audacity. Then download the Soundflower extension. Go into inputs and select soundflower and then have output be the standard output device.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
It's not on the App Store, but download Audacity. Then download the Soundflower extension. Go into inputs and select soundflower and then have output be the standard output device.
Audacity recently warned that macOS Sierra is NOT supported for extensions.
Refer to their website.
;JOOP!

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
When there were Radio shacks, you could buy a splitter cable that would send half your output to your amp, and half to the audio input. That works well, and doesn't burden your system with additional software. Amazon, Digikey, Fry's and Mouser likely still sell the things.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Lucky you. Thanks for sharing.
;JOOP!

I'm not lucky, there is no luck in these kinds of things. It's software. It either works with sierra or it doesn't. And it does
[doublepost=1496782979][/doublepost]
When there were Radio shacks, you could buy a splitter cable that would send half your output to your amp, and half to the audio input. That works well, and doesn't burden your system with additional software. Amazon, Digikey, Fry's and Mouser likely still sell the things.

Wouldnt that burden the setup with more hardware?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Wouldnt that burden the setup with more hardware?
It's just a Y cable. Virtually no burden at all, unless you're talking of it sticking out of a portable device? It might snag on stuff. That would be bad. If that's what you're doing go with software. I just don't like having too many things running in background on my Macs, especially 3rd party stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.