How to record iTunes video stream???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TechNutt, Sep 9, 2012.

1. TechNutt macrumors member

Good Day.

I'm looking for some help/good advice on how to record video streaming off iTunes since my computer screen is small and not the best to watch video on it. Ultimately, I'd like to record the video stream--with sound--and then burn it to dvd and watch it on the big screen.

I'm looking for the best way to accomplish this problem for me, either through manipulation of the Terminal or the use of apps. I do prefer freeware, but whatever works best is what I'm after. I don't want to capture the screen and record it, if I can avoid it.

I'm using Snow Leopard.

I know this Mac community is strong and probably has good solutions to share for what I'm trying to do. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you considered using an ATV? Stream to your TV without the need for a load of third party apps.

Using Handbrake ( free) and VLC ( free) you can rip to your Mac then stream to the unit as long as your tv has a spare HDMI port ATV units are under $100 these days.

3. TechNutt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've thought about getting an ATV, and will get one when the next released update is available next year, but not right now. My good friend who got me into Macs (way long ago) has one and likes it quite a bit. So, an ATV is definitely on my calendar for gadgets in 2013. I'm also holding out for an ATV since I want to know what Mr. Jobs finally "cracked" in the television dept.

As of now, I really just want to record iTunes video streams onto my computer HD, first, and then later burn to dvd or setup hookups to enable me to watch later on my television.

So the app suggestion is to use HandBrake. I've heard of that application, but I do have some concerns with it. When I asked about apps to use, I forgot to mention that hard drive space and quality is also very important. If I had to pick one option over the other, quality would trump over hard drive space. But, I do want to use as little HD memory as possible while still having a good quality video.

Any further elaboration on this?

Thanks again.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Moshi sells some MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt to HDMI - that may be your best solution - or I'd say get an Apple TV - even an ATV2 would be great - could probably find one for 50 bucks on eBay.

5. TechNutt thread starter macrumors member

Once I have the video recorded from the stream on my computer, I'd definitely research on how to view it from that point. Mainly, I'm trying to figure out how I can record iTunes stream video with specific apps/methods to my Mac running Snow Leopard.

I've looked at Jakstra, Easy Video Record, oRipa Video Recorder, and more. None of these seem to be what I need, which is to record high quality video streams off from iTunes.

Quality is the most important, and a close second is how much hard drive space is used during the process. And I don't mind paying, although I do prefer freeware if what I'm looking for is available for little to no cost.

Thanks again.