Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cashew90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
I apologize if I overlooked an existing thread but I couldn't find an explanation for how to record calls. I understand that it is not possible just with an iphone. I wonder though, if it works with an extra Macbook and Continuity? So, e.g. I use my Mac to call a mobile number via facetime.. I tried to do an audio record with quicktime but it just recorded my part because I used headphones. Otherwise the echo is too strong.

Do you have any idea or do I overlook a simpler possibility? And no, I don't want to blackmail someone ;) I am a social scientist and need to record phone interviews.

Thanks in advance!

cashew90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
Thank you! Is there maybe another possibility without an external service? So to say, iphone + mac only? Also, I don't live in the US so I'm not sure if Google Voice will work for me?!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The reason why there is not built in call recording is because of different state's and country's laws when it comes "permission required". There is no universal law, so its easier for Apple to just not include it.

Reactions: Melrose

cashew90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
The way I did it in the end is that I connected my iPhone and my Mac via Continuity, so I could call from there using Facetime. Then I purchased Call Recorder for Facetime and it works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.