How to record Sony LCD TV output with my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beethovengirl, Nov 27, 2008.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a Sony LCD TV, and I would like to use my MacBook to record its output, preferably with DVR functionality.

I've been reading about EyeTV, but it says:
    "EyeTV Hybrid (2008 North American model) can directly receive unencrypted Digital Cable. It can only receive the few channels that are not encrypted, in the Clear QAM format."
    http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3082#14

My Sony TV has a QAM tuner, and I can get digital cable and some HDTV stations without using a Comcast box. Is the Clear QAM tuner that the EyeTV has the same as the QAM tuner on my Sony KDL40S3000 TV? [i.e. I'll get the same channels?]

It seems that perhaps there could be a cheaper option than EyeTV if I can just copy the output from my TV, but I don't know how to do this...then again, it's not clear to me that my TV has any output ports other than audio.

Do you have any suggestions? thank you :)

2. Tourist macrumors member

What is the model of your Sony TV?

It would be likely that the Eye-TV hybrid would get the same channels,

But the hybrid would also allow you output from the TV (not in HD Thou) and record on the Mac-book, via the breakout cable that comes with the hybrid (component and S-video)

Although if you are wanting to use it as a DVR it is probably best to use the hydrid as a cable receiver, as you will be able to use the EPG to set recordings, if you connect it from the TV you wont get any of the channel data.

3. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

KDL40S3000

What is the EPG?

thanks for your help :)