How to record streaming video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jwlbel, Nov 15, 2014.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I want to record a yahoo streaming concert using my macbook air.

I tried doing a test tonight but when I did, new screen recording it also recorded anything I was saying in the background too. I tried to disable the mic but then it did not record any audio. I just want the audio and video that is playing on the computer. Not myself in the background plus the computer stream. Can I do this using quicktime? If so, how? If not, can you please recommend a free app/program

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

The quicktime recording function in Mac OS will simply record the screen and everything that comes in through your mic. Two options to record streaming content is to catch the hdmi-out signal with an elgato hd recorder or a blackmagic hyperdeck/studio. This is rather complicated, but all I can think of.

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

In QT, I tested setting the screen recording microphone setting to "Built-in Input: Line In", then looped a computer speaker cable from the headphone jack to the mic input jack. Seemed to work with a short test, FWIW.

4. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!!

A friend of mine told me about a program called SoundFlower and that worked perfectly. I was able to record my screen and the audio without recording myself too.

5. rdsii64 macrumors regular

screen flow

screen flow is what you need. You can tell screenflow to record system audio and ignore the the computeres built in mic.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Rather than record the video, why not download the video directly? You may be able to download it with DownloadHelper (extension for Firefox). You may also be able to download it manually if the direct link to the video is available in the HTML source