Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnyip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I had a mid-2008 MacBook Pro running 10.6. I used filevault on the main user. Unfortunately the logic board died while I was logged in.

I bought a new MacBook Pro and Apple successfully moved the files across, however, when I go to login it says "you are unable to log in to the FileVault user account".

Using disk utility I found the disk needed to be repaired and did that and repaired disk permissions to no avail.

I have another admin account that doesnt use FileVault on this laptop... is it possible to get in through it?? I was reading about using terminal, however, all advice was OS 10.4 or earlier.

I don't know if this poses any significance but in the other admin account the
internet won't turn on... even if I successfully add wifi or plug in my usb tethering enabled iphone 4 it won't connect...

Also the user file seems a tad small (only 25GB) so I'm concerned I've lost some data...

Your advice is much appreciated!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The FileVault keychain files re located at /Library/Keychains. You may need these files in place (on the new drive) in order for your password to work on the FileVault account. I've never tried accessing a FileVault account after moving it so I'm not sure what may be restricting access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.