How to recover SD Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamin00, May 10, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I have an SD card that will not mount to my MBP and all my others do so its a fault with the card.

Are there any apps or steps I can use to try to salvage the card?

Thanks

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an old app that hasn't been updated for a few years but its still available and even now saved my bacon by recovering an SD card.

I highly recommend PhotoRescue

Download the trial, see what it does, and the saved version can complete the recovery process.

4. BaPouzada macrumors newbie

BaPouzada

how do you use the PhotoRec?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pop in the SD card, click quick recovery. Select the SD card and continue through and it will do it for you

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Sadly I've had little success with SD data recovery. Me = recovered hard drives that have been damaged / lost for years. Even one that was underwater for an unknown amount of time ( probably a month or so ).
    Flash memory has a limited number of reads and once that has been passed it is impossible to recover the data.

Fortunately the 'limited' averages to more than 100k writes. This should give the typical SD about 5 years of heavy, daily use ( possibly 10 or more years for less frequently ). The five year mark would be typical for a photographer, taking daily shots.

Let us know if you get any data off of it.