How to recover to SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DaYiM, Apr 16, 2012.

1. DaYiM macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I well install "MCE OptiBay" in my MacBook Pro 13",
    then i am gonna put the primary HDD 750GB
    ( which have the Mac OS X 10.7.3 ) as secondary,
    and I well install in it place new SSD as primary.
    The question here is how to install Lion on this new SSD
    to use TimeMachine to restore all my settings & data?
    And erase it from the original HDD?
    PS: my laptop came preinstalled with Lion.
    thanks & best regards.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you have less than the capacity of your SSD worth of data on your HDD, the easiest thing to do is use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new one. You can then wipe the old one and move any data you want from one to the other. (To actually do that step, install both drives, boot from the HDD, use Disk Utility to format the SSD as a single partition, then use CCC to clone the data to the new SSD partition; CCC will ask you if you want to create a Recovery Partition as well, which you probably do.)

If you have more than that much data, you can do what I did when I upgraded my MPB from HDD to SSD: Copy whatever data you plan on having on the HDD over to an external, then delete it from the HDD, until all that's left on your HDD is what you want on your SSD. Then clone it over. Then, once the SSD is working smoothly, wipe the HDD and copy the data from the external back to it.

You can also add a new "data" partition to the HDD on the fly and move stuff over it to avoid the external step, but I'd recommend against that for no reason other than that I'm paranoid about data loss, and you're introducing a couple more points of failure to the system.

3. DaYiM thread starter macrumors newbie