How to recreate the App Nap demo from WWDC?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by happywaffle, Aug 7, 2013.

1. happywaffle macrumors newbie

I need to give a Mavericks demonstration for work and want to show off App Nap the way Apple did at WWDC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0oyb2l-1nI#t=72s

I tried playing a silent QuickTime movie and covering it with another window, but QuickTime Player didn't change its power usage in the Energy or CPU tabs of Activity Monitor.

Anybody know how I could recreate this demo?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Play a youtube video in Safari.
    Open Calendar so it covers the Safari Screen. Safari then takes a nap after a couple of minutes.
    Is that what you are looking for? That video did not show much.

3. happywaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a start, but in the demo, Safari's power usage dropped immediately, no delay required. Trickery? Or was there something about that particular demo that caused App Nap to kick in immediately?

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

They might have changed the behavior. I have never seen app nap kick in instantaneously. I don't think it was a trick, just them playing with timing. It makes sense to wait a bit. In the real world another screen or app might cover another quickly by accident.

5. Killa Aaron macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

Just do the same exact thing Craig did in the keynote, go to famo.us in Safari, open iTunes to cover Safari (make sure both apps are the same window size), use Activity Monitor as JuiceMeter to monitor the CPU usage, done.

6. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

That actually works. Cool feature. As said, you need to make sure the apps that are overlapping are the same size window.

7. happywaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

What the heck does "use as JuiceMeter" mean? I figured out I can choose Window > CPU Usage to display something similar, but did you mean something else?

8. Killa Aaron macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

If you watched the Keynote you would know what I'm talking about, since JuiceMeter doesn't exists on the system.

9. happywaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the way you phrased it suggested it was an actual feature. But thanks for the condescending tone. :-[