How to REDUCE kernel_task's memory usage?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Geoff Myers, May 24, 2007.

1. Geoff Myers macrumors member

Hi, does anyone know how to REDUCE the amount of memory kernel_task is using? From my understanding, kernel_task consists of all the kernel extensions for the core system of Mac OS X. Is it possible to see, specifically, which kernel extensions are using up the most resources? Thanks! :)

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

What is your current kernel_task memory usage? Mine is ~85MB.

3. Geoff Myers thread starter macrumors member

Kernel_task can often use more memory than Safari, and also more CPU.

Attached Files:

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Please use for large images.

Anyway, what is your machine? How much RAM have you got? When was the last time you rebooted? It also looks like you have done system modifications-if its _just_ icons then fine, but if you have haxies installed (like ClearDock, ShapeShifter, etc) I would remove them.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I run OS X Server on a Mac Pro and my kernel_task regularly uses well over 1GB RAM after a few days uptime... so if I were you I'd consider yourself quite well off :)

6. Geoff Myers thread starter macrumors member

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Depends. If its just changing the files (ie, icons) then it'll read them just the same. However, some haxies change the system or sit between the kernel and the rest of the system. For example, TransparentDock actually changed hexadecimal codes within Dock.app to change the transparency.

I would remove any system modifications (excluding icons) and reboot. Use it normally for, say, 10 mins and then report back the RAM usage.

If you really can't stand the default Aqua look, I would try UNO. It actually replaces the files, so stability is not compromised.

8. Geoff Myers thread starter macrumors member

I have ShapeShifter installed, but not active. I've been using UNO now for awhile and I love it. I have quite a few add-on System Preference Panes, but many of them aren't active/enabled. I know that DivX, Flip4Mac, Growl, iScroll 2, and USB Overdrive are enabled.

Attached Files:

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

OK, get rid of Application Enhancer (and associated haxies), ShapeShifter, Cepstral Voices (what is that?) and anything that isn't active. Check your kernel extensions folder to see what is loaded, and it would also be worth checking your startup items.