How to reduce size of 1.5 hr HD video on iPad mini

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macbev, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Macbev macrumors newbie

I shot a 1.5 hr video of a great lecture on my iPad. I may not post it publicly but I want to share it with a couple of people. I cannot find a way to zip it or convert it to a lower resolution so it could be put in Dropbox or HighTail. Remember, this is an iPad mini, and for now, I do not have access to my computer. Do I have to work at a computer to do this?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Recompressing an 1.5-hour-long 1080p H.264 video on the iPad? I barely think it's feasible - it'd take just too much time, at least an order of magnitude more than doing the same with a desktop Handbrake. If the recompression doesn't crash before finishing, that is.

Next time you shoot and know you may want to share it use a client with settable bitrate, setting the latter to, say, 2.5 Mbps, which, if you shoot from a tripod or the like, is generally sufficient to record lectures. Or, use a jailbreak tweak to do the same in the camera client.

If you aren't afraid of doing some betatesting for me (I don't have an rMini), I can even release an rMini-specific version of my well-known camera enhancer tool, which is also capable of directly setting the bitrate.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Easy. Upload to a video service that allows private videos (such as YouTube). Make sure the video is only accessible to people with URL. They can download it using a downloader.

Once they have it, you can set the video to private (removes ability to view even through the URL).

Wrong. iOS devices have native hardware that helps with mp4 h.264

5. Macbev thread starter macrumors newbie

How to reduce size of 1.5 hr HD video on iPad mini

-----------------------------
    I had promised never to post it on YouTube, but that does sound like a plan, if I can set it to private - or can I remove it entirely from YouTube, once the people I wanted to share it with have downloaded it? I will explain what you said and ask permission.

This is someone who will be releasing an edited DVD of this material, so I don't want to make it possible for "unauthorized" copies to start circulating.

Many thanks for your help. By the way, is there a way to change the quality to something less than HD, or adjust the bitrate?

6. Macbev thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh???

1) A file that large won't fit on my iPhone.
    2) Even if it did, I'd still have the same problem.
    3) There is no Handbrake for iPad mini

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Handbrake iPhone setting works fine on all iOS devices including the iPad.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes you can set video to private. You can remove it afterwards.
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/55770?hl=en

However I just recalled that you might need to increase YouTube limit on length (probably by giving them more personal data)
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en

If someone will edit it, that person should just grab the uncompressed file directly from you. Saves you upload time. You can put the file onto USB thumbdrive or data DVD. Mailing DVD in padded envelope is around $2 I think.