Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
is there a way to reduce the size of the file or export part of the file so its not so big or a way to create a separate file and revert to either one. but what i want to do is offload the pics and revert back to them when i need to.

i know i can move the current file to and ext hard drive and start a new one but i dont want to do that all i want to do is reduce the amount of the current one and store the older pics on a hard drive.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
When you import photos from an external drive, you have the option, in iPhoto Preferences>Advanced, of whether or not to copy items to your iPhoto Library.

So you could export photos from iPhoto to your external drive, delete them from iPhoto, and then re-import from the external with the above option un-ticked.

The photos will then appear in iPhoto but will be stored on the external. However, you will need to have that external drive connected to double click on a picture in iPhoto and view/edit it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.